Page 2

The roosters started crowing at 2 A.M. and continued on and off until we had to get up, so we did not have a well-rested night.

The open air market is only a few blocks away and Tanad knew all the merchants and was able to help us load the truck up with fresh vegetables, eggs and tins of cookies for the children.

It was so rewarding to see all that food in the back of the truck and know that the generosity of several of our sponsors made it possible for us to purchase all the food.

We were surprised when we started up the mountain road that the first part had been paved and was a huge improvement over last year. Unfortunately, that did not last long and we were back to the rutted, twisting mountain road that we remember so well. Tanad has years of experience traveling this road and is able to miss a lot of the deep ruts.

I was so excited about seeing all our Karen families again I could hardly wait to get there and breathed a prayer of thanks when we drove through the gates.

Pastor Thein Than Aye (Kasu) had let everyone know we were coming and it took no time at all for the families to start gathering around.

The truck was unloaded and we immediately went over to the church where tables had been set up for us outside the door.

I had divided the registration cards by section numbers, so the pastor Kasu was able to quickly call out names. Rick took the pictures while I marked the cards and took note of those who had resettled or left the camp. When a name was called out and the child wasn't there, someone always knew if they were still in camp or had left. The US and other countries were still accepting refugees who had been registered months, or years before.

When we had taken all the pictures of children registered, we registered 25 more and got their histories. The pastor chose the 25 and only took those who were handicapped, orphaned or were in poor health. He asked us to make them a priority for sponsorship. Here are just some of the children waiting for their turn.